Pages

THE 1666 PLAGUE


Click on any image for a larger version

There I was, wandering up SintJorisstraat, for why I can't remember, when I saw this painting on the side of a house at the corner of Poitevinstraat. So I went over for a look.

This is the house where the 1666 plague started. I mentioned this plague in the post on Oud Sint-Janshospitaal, when commenting on the bust of Thomas Montanus, the doctor who monitored the plague's progress and published an informative book on it.



The picture shows the various entreaties from bishop and saint to be spared from the plague along with graphic images of victims and their families. It appears to have been painted in 1900 and I wondered how it had remained so vibrant over the years. On closer inspection it turned out to be a series of tiles and that likely explains the absence of weathering.



Not all the King's horses



Nor all the King's men



Could put Humpty Dumpty



Together again.

Online information in English on the Brugge outbreak is hard to come by but I thought you'd like to see the painting anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment